Celebrating the power of sleep on World Sleep Day
Hosted by the World Sleep Society, World Sleep Day is celebrated on 18 March and is intended to be a celebration of sleep and a call to action on important issues related to sleep, including medicine, education, social aspects and driving. At Restonic, we believe in the power of sleep and we’re thrilled that the 2022 theme for World Sleep Day 2022 is “Quality Sleep, Sound Mind, Happy World”.
Why sleep is important
According to the Sleep Foundation, most adults need at least seven hours of sleep each night. Without enough sleep, the Sleep Foundation says, we become vulnerable to attention lapses, reduced cognition, delayed reactions, and mood shifts. Lack of sleep has also been linked to a higher risk for various medical conditions and diseases, from obesity to type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, mental health challenges, and even early death.
Sleep is how your body and mind recharges. Getting quality sleep helps you feel refreshed and alert when you wake up, contributes to keeping you healthy, and helps your body to fight off diseases.
5 ways to experience the power of sleep in your life
- Establish good sleep hygiene: Sleep hygiene comprises behaviours you can implement to help promote good sleep. For example, setting a regular bedtime, establishing a bedtime routine, and eliminating screen time before bed. For more good sleep hygiene tips, access our DIY guide to better sleep here.
- Get help with sleep issues: If you suffer from insomnia (persistent problems falling and staying asleep), it’s worth chatting to your doctor about treatments that could potentially assist. Treatment options include therapies (such as cognitive behavioural therapy) and various medications, which would depend on the root cause of your insomnia (for example, allergies or mental health issues, such as anxiety or depression).
- Prioritise both sleep and rest in your life: It’s important to get quality sleep, but also to give your body and mind the rest they need. Read about the differences here.
- Make your bedroom a sleep sanctuary: Give sleep the attention it deserves and make your bedroom a place of calm by banning screens, tidying up, making the space special (whether that’s with healthy pot plants, scented candles or luxurious bedding), and, yes… making your bed.
- Invest in a great bed: It’s much easier to get a great night’s sleep on a comfortable bed that offers you the support you need. Find out how to buy your perfect bed.
Discover everything you need to know about sleep and mattresses on our sleep blog.